Thursday, April 24, 2008

Much Ado About Nothing (i hope)

*Updated Below*

Welcome to my mini freak out. Not a big one yet, I'm hoping it won't come to that, in fact I'm almost 99.9% sure it won't come to that. It's that .01% that's got me all in a tizzy.

I have to go to the Dr. today for my annual check up. Affectionately known as the annual poke and prod. Girls, you know the one. It's bad enough on a normal visit; what with the weighing on the scale that is always at least 6lbs heavier than the scale at home, the surly nurses with an opinion on everything, and the oh so dignified toes to the sky exam in the ill fitting paper dress. But today I also have to have a little lump that should not be looked at, and I'm sure I'm overreacting, but I'm a little anxious about it.

It didn't help that I googled "symptoms of ovarian cancer" ,because I'm ever the optimist, and now I'm convinced that every fart is an omen (did you know that chronic gas and bloating can be an indicator?). Please understand I'm not making fun of a very serious and frightening illness, I'm just trying to take my own overactive imagination down a notch and lighten up, because I could very easily freak myself out.

Okay, so this is not the PSA it could have been, it's more like barfing my anxiety all over the page just to get it out and feel a little better (which I do, so, thanks!). I fully intended to do a little more digging around and post a few facts we as women should all know. Perhaps I will later, but the little reading I did do was only adding fuel to my current over reaction, so I thought better of it.

Wish me luck, I have to go pound some water now because along with everything else I'm going to have to pee on demand into a little plastic cup. I so enjoy being a girl!



Okay, I feel better, or more to the point, I feel slightly sheepish (Talk about an overreaction). It was the equivalent of your car making a noise, but stopping once you get it to the mechanic. There was nothing there. She checked..... thoroughly. Then she had me check. I'm here to tell you there is nothing more mortifying than having to feel yourself up in front of your doctor, whilst trying to keep up your end of the conversation. Nothing. She did say it was more than likely (some medical term I cant remember) which is basically something akin to a pimple. Lovely. My doctor said they are fairly normal so I feel better, everything looks fine, is fine, and now we can return to our regularly scheduled program.

16 comments:

HappyBlogChick said...

Oh honey, I can so relate to this post right now!

I am wishing you luck and sending you strength and anti-anxiety vibes!

Anonymous said...

oh, i feel your pain. and while not the same kind of poking and prodding, i'm going to have a skin check. the kind where they check all the skin. on my entire body. everywhere. and the dr is like 4'8" and 80lbs. ad i'm not.

and now that i've typed it i can't wait!!

we_be_toys said...

Glamour, thy name is Woman!

Wow, so bloating and flatulence are symptoms of ovarian cancer? Does this mean we can share a hospital room?!

At least you know the doctor is a decent one, and the nurses there aren't as bad as some of the nurses I've encountered. Cold MF comfort, I know...

You ARE going to call me afterwards, right?

"Would now be the time for a colorful metaphor?" - Spock, Star Trek III

FairiesNest said...

I'm glad it was nothing and that you made me feel like less of an idiot at the same time...I do the over reaction thing CONSTANTLY!!! Luv Ya!

we_be_toys said...

You are one kinky beotch - feeling yourself in front of the doctor! What exactly do you talk about at a moment like that - what conversation's end are you keeping up during that feel-up?
I'm just askin'...!

flutter said...

I do love me a good, annual exam. Like I love an ass boil.

not that I have ever had one, just sayin'

Hanlie said...

Well at least your doctor is a woman! I also used to get those lumps (pre Juice Feast) and I think it's hormonal. Of course my hormones are much more balanced now and therefore I don't get them!

Anonymous said...

So good to hear the stress of all that is over now. I always feel better after the appointment too.

thailandchani said...

I'm glad to know it had a good outcome. It's almost impossible to not freak out about some of these things when there's almost too much disconnected information around.

For me... I'll drop dead one day. It's that simple. :)

Gypsy said...

I tooted last night in front of Lancelot, for like MAYBE the fifth time in 11 years. He gave me such hell for it.

And I feel you on making pimples into life-threatening illnesses. I have so been there this week. In the same damn area, too. Stupid girly bits.

Nicole said...

HAHAHAHA!! I'm so GLAD it wasn't anything at all. Lovely!

Zephyr said...

I overreacted like that last year when I was called back for another mammogram. I think I spent every spare moment that week crying. For a bunch of cysts.

Damn cysts! And pimple kin are like cysts too, right?

Glad you got good news. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, thank heavens for that, huh? I got this sick feeling as I was scrolling so the update at the bottom is MUCH appreciated. And I say there's no such thing as overreacting when it comes to our health. Somebody's got to be the advocate. It's certainly better than the alternative.

Congrats on your lump-free boobies!

KatBouska said...

I just wandered into your blog while browsing and phew! I bet your glad you're ok even if you feel a little sheepish...I don't think I'd mind feeling myself up in front of my dr...he's pretty cute...

Anonymous said...

Note to self. Next time I will read the update first. Geeze woman. You had me freaked out there. MWAH! Glad everything is ok.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.